POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : My first posted animation... : Re: My first posted animation... Server Time
19 Jul 2024 04:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first posted animation...
From: Carl Hoff
Date: 6 Mar 2004 22:17:39
Message: <404a9453@news.povray.org>
> I liked it --

Thanks... Its been fun making it.

> I would like to see a smooth MPEG-1 version though ;-)

I'm working on it.  Sounds like I need to find a program called
Tmpgenc and figure out how to use it.  I'm about as green as
they come when it comes to this stuff.  I learn something new
everyday I think.  The first shot I took at making MPEGs
looked very rough and there were artifacts everywhere.
I had downloaded a program called VideoMach II and its
evaluation period is about over but I never liked the output
that I got.  I thought the gifs looked better that I could make
but they are MUCH bigger files.  Is there a tutorial out there
something along the lines of how to making nice MPEGs for
dummies?

> Also, as I remember in the movie, the light trails did not
> reflect.

Correct.  That's something I added.  Also the lines on the
trail should be vertical not curved as they are on mine.  And
its also been pointed out then the lower body isn't reflective
chrome either.  Also the floor isn't reflective at all in the movie.
Those are all effects that I added.  I'm sure there are other
differences.  Call it artistic licence...

> If you could make the light trails non-reflective,

That's easy enough but I sort of like the reflection.  That's
why I put it there.

> a bit more ambient,

Does that mean brighter?  I'm still learning what all these
terms mean.

> and even glow just a bit using atmospheric effects, it
> would be even better.

Oh I love that idea.  I haven't played with atmospheric
effects yet though.  Could you give me just a little piece
of code to play with to see how the glow effect can be
made?

> Also, less reflective on the floor less of the "normal"
> amount would make it look a little better too. It's a
> little too watery and detracts from the bike itself..

Ok... I like some normal though so I don't want to
get rid of all of that effect but I can tone it down.  Note
in the movie there is no floor reflection.

> The walls around the arena also need textures

In this scene there aren't any walls.  Its just an infinite
grid.  The blue in the back-groud is a sky sphere.  I
will get around to adding walls though.  Here is one
of the first pictures I made:

http://www.tron-sector.com/gallery/show.aspx?ID=1037

The graphic for the walls I pulled out of one of the
shareware lightcycle games out there.  I'd like to make
my own walls at some point.

> and a few more bikes would finish it off

Its already writen general enough that its quite easy to add
more bikes.  It just takes alot longer to render.

> -- plus a switch in camera angles, sound

At the moment I have no idea how to add sound.  I'll learn
I'm sure.

> -- this has gotta be a fun one to work on,

It is.  I'm really enjoying it.  I figure what better way to learn
this stuff then start with the same subjects the experts started
with 20+ years ago.

> I'm gettin' excited just imagining it!

I've got an idea for a TRON short that I'm working on.
I'll only be 1 or 2 minutes long but I've already got the
script written.  If you'd like to help let me know.

> Maybe just a bit of tilt to the camera down would also
> enhance the animation.

This just a test animation to see if the trail effect worked.
I can do alot more with the camera but that wasn't the
focus of this test.

> scenes in there showing the drivers leaning over to
> make the turns.

Yes... but those aren't CGI scenes.  The bikes themselves
don't lean on the game grid.  I don't have a clue how to
mix live action with CGI.

> It just happens really fast.

I've look at that part of the movie frame by frame now I
think.  I know what's there.

> The bike must be just thin enough to navigate a sharp
> corner within two walls.

My bikes are the same width as the ones in the movie.

Carl

P.S.  I'll be moving in about a week so a may be out of
touch for a little while.